Must-see & do Attractions in Corpus Christi
Corpus Christi is full of fun things to see and do, but if you don’t have time to do everything on your list, consider this list of must see attractions.
1. USS Lexington Museum: USS Lexington…It’s the real deal! Around every corner and down every passageway, an adventure unfolds. Where heroes lived, bombs exploded, kamikazes crashed and history was made. Walk beneath the wings of authentic aircraft. Over 20 planes, from WWII Warbirds to Blue Angels. See the oldest remaining aircraft carrier in the world from the inside out. Five tour routes will take you through this 33,000 ton city at sea. Take on the challenge of our Virtual Battle Stations, ride the Flight Simulator and watch a flick from floor to ceiling in our new 3D MEGA Theater. Visit the Ship’s Store for official gear and the Mess Deck for good grub. Call for information on group tours, educational programs, special events and our Live Aboard Overnight Campout!
2. Texas State Aquarium: We are an educational resource, and environmental steward and a lead in economic development for our visitors, our community and our world. The Aquarium relies on general admissions, memberships, retail sales, event rentals and the generous support from donors to maintain its operations. The Texas State Aquarium receives no city, state or federal funding for its operations. Please help us in our mission and support the Texas State Aquarium.
The idea for the Texas State Aquarium was conceptualized by its founders early on to focus on the species in Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea. The exhibits would contain representatives of the area’s main marine ecosystems. The Gulf of Mexico opened in 1990 with a commencement from former President Bush speaking to a front lawn packed full of supporting visitors. After years in the making, the Caribbean Journey, part of the original vision, opened its doors in 2017. The Caribbean Journey doubles the size of the aquarium and provides homes to an exciting collection of sea and land creatures. It is here that you can break into the mesmerizing secrets of the underwater and jungle world. For those wishing to spend time in an extraordinary place, a promising unforgettable experience awaits.
The Texas State Aquarium is the perfect platform for people and families to learn, bond and discover together. Visit us when you are considering things to do in Corpus Christi, Texas.
3. Art Museum of South Texas: View art from the Americas in an architectural landmark on the Corpus Christi Bay through a variety of temporary and permanent exhibitions. From Spanish Colonial to modern art, the Art Museum of South Texas advances awareness, knowledge, appreciation, and enjoyment of the visual arts for residents and visitors of South Texas.
The Mission of the South Texas Institute for the Arts (the Institute), doing business as the Art Museum of South Texas, is to operate educational facilities and an art museum which advance the awareness, knowledge, appreciation and enjoyment of the visual arts for residents and visitors of South Texas.
To meet its educational mission, the Institute will present a variety of programs which include classes, lectures, films, performances and other activities which inspire community interest in the visual arts. These programs will be offered at the Art Museum of South Texas, the Antonio E. Garcia Arts and Education Center, and other outreach venues that serve the Institute’s mission.
In operating an art museum, the Institute will actively collect, conserve, exhibit, research and interpret outstanding works of visual art with interest in art of the Americas and of the region.
4. Horses On The Beach: We are pleased to be on Padre Island in Corpus Christi, Texas and committed to providing you with the same unique horseback beach riding experience that we have offered South Padre Island residents and visitors for many years. If you’re in the area, please stop by for a visit and allow us to help you create a very unique memory of riding horseback on the beach in Corpus Christi.bout
Horses On The Beach :: Corpus
Although operating in the same location that was formerly owned by the ‘Mustang Riding Stables’, Horses On The Beach Corpus Christi is an entirely new and separate company. Ownership & management are new, the facilities have been cleaned & upgraded, with small improvements continuing to develop on a weekly basis. A recent article in a local newspaper highlighted the established family history of Manager, Brennan Wells, who hails from four generations of horse stable ownership in South Padre Island. Horses On The Beach Corpus Christi is focused is on offering the unique experience of riding horseback on the beach to both young & old, beginner to advanced, and anyone in between. It is our hope & desire to help you create this memorable experience.
5. Selena Museum: Selena Quintanilla Perez, the Queen of Tejano Music, holds a special place in the story of Corpus Christi. Incredibly talented, she touched the hearts of many. Selena worked relentlessly to break down barriers and pursue her professional dreams, with a compassionate heart for the people and for the community.
The Selena Museum was built by the Quintanilla family as a memorial for Selena fans and showcases many of Selena’s stage costumes, collections and memorabilia including her red Porsche.
6. Padre Balli Surf Park: Located on the North end of Padre Island on Park Road 22 and consists of 374.5 acres. Padre Balli Park is open all year. There are 54 paved campsites with water and electric hookups and a dump station located nearby. In addition there is a area for those wanting to pitch a tent with water and electric hookups that are centrally located.
The camper’s bathhouse and washateria is available to campers using W/E sites. A fresh rinse shower is available for the general public. A first-aid station is located at the park office.